Monday, December 6, 2010

Time for change

I should have known that one try would never happen, it never has! LOL Everything that may work for my other kids, never works for Jack. A few weeks ago he was prescribed a medication for ADHD... I know you're shocked that he has it! The last couple of weeks we have had him on Vyvanse, which is a medication we use for 2 of our other kids. It worked to some extent. He finally wanted to learn. Before on his calendar he would put the educational stuff back in his basket and would only have on his calendar the fun stuff. Once he started taking the medicine he wanted to work. However, we lost something with this medicine. He was no longer funny, cute, and cuddly. He wanted to be left alone and was very unhappy. My little boy that would go visit everyone would no longer go without me being next to him. He began hitting his head with his fist as though something wasn't working right. Granted his appetite was suppressed, but nothing out of the ordinary and he slept fine, but his temperament and demeanor had changed. Luckily he has an awesome teacher that helps me to see what I can't because I am not there with him. She told me she would rather have the old Jack back then to see this boy the medicine has made. After this weekend I couldn't agree more!

So after talking with his Dr. we changed his medication and cut the dosage in half. I am hoping that it will help take the edge off his impulsivity but not lose who Jack is. He has set a precedent and people know what to expect, a huge hug and smile to greet you and a good laugh to leave you smiling long after he leaves. We will make sure this does not change, because it is what makes him who he is.

Sunday I took him off the medicine and a big huge shout out and hug to his buddy. She has been awesome trying to keep up with him! Today, day 2, off the medicine his teacher brought him to the car, wiped her forehead and went "whewww!" I laughed and said "forgot how energetic he was huh?" Yes he was a lot of work, but we got our loving little boy back...let's just hope this new medicine doesn't change him either!

No comments:

Post a Comment