Saturday, October 23, 2010

A quandary

As we were having kids people would always ask me how many I wanted and my answer would always be 6! Now I know that many would be rolling their eyes or their jaw would drop at the mention of anything mote than 3 let alone 6! I have always wanted a big family considering I had just the opposite. What I failed to realize in my request for that many kids, was to be specific. Yes I have learned over the few years of raising kids that he has a sense of humor! So he decided to give me my 6 kiddos in 4. Like I said I never specified that I wanted 6 individual bodied children, just 6 kids.

If anyone has met my youngest you would understand that he is definitely 3 in 1! Now as I am looking at my family I question is this normal? So since I have never been around children with disabilities till J, I asked his teacher if his hummingbird like qualities were typical for him? To which she said NO! my understanding is that it is often difficult to get children with DS up and moving around, most of them are quite content just being... J is not this way, he is impulsive, busy, asks the same question over and over again, and most times defiant. Now when I think of J I think differently with him than I do with the other kids, it's necessary, but often I forget to step back and compare symptoms... Well because quite often it's never in our best interest to compare (which is a whole other post!). so once I took a step back I realized that most of the behaviors were behaviors I had seen before in my other kids who all have been diagnosed with either ADD or ADHD, which led me to make a decision to look further into this. After his teacher gave me her observation form I realized that we are dealing with the same thing.

Now I have never been a fan of medication, but to see what a positive effect it has had on my others, I am hoping it will have the same positive experience. But my concern is how will it change him??? Will he still be the same little man everyone loves? Will it change his behavior to the point where I don't see the boisterous little man everyone craves for hugs? Who know? All I know is that there has to be something that is a happy medium, one that will allow him to focus and still maintain the little happy go lucky man everyone loves and that hopefully we will no longer have to leave a place for fear of impulsive behaviors that warrant constant, grueling, exhausting watch over him. It will only be trial and error, but we'll find out more in a couple of weeks when we go see the doctor! So for now we are in a quandary as to our next step and how differently our future will look!

1 comment:

  1. We're in a similar spot with Abigail - but something's got to give - the impulse, the peskiness, the intentional bothering, and the lack of focus - really starting to take a toll on the family and especially Deklan -

    ReplyDelete